Photos from the 2018 White Oak Basket Contest on Face Book
Saturday, July 7th, 2018
Entry to Fair Grounds after 3:30pm will cost $10.00
Hart County Fairgrounds near Rowletts, KY on 31W
between Horse Cave and Munfordville
Grand Prize/Best of Show $200.00
1st Prize - $100.00 (all classes except antique)
2nd Prize - $50.00 (all classes except antique)
3rd Prize - $25.00 (all classes except antique)
Registration begins at 10:00 a.m.
Entries must be registered prior to 11:00 a.m.
Judging begins at 11:00 a.m.
Awards will be presented at 1:00 p.m.
Sponsored by Family Medical Center of Munfordville
- HANDMADE SPLIT WHITE OAK BASKET CONTEST CLASSES:
- 1) Beginning Basket Makers (have not entered the contest before and have just started making baskets in the past four years)
- 2) Intermediate Makers Class - basket makers from any year of age (must have 4-6 years experience above the beginning basket makers class)
- 3) Classic Utilitarian Split White Oak Basket (anyone can enter this category. These baskets traditionally had a specific work usage such as egg baskets, lunch baskets, berry baskets, kindling baskets, picnic baskets, yarn baskets, pie baskets, collection plate baskets, marble baskets, etc.)
- 4) Decorative Baskets
- 5) Antique Baskets - over 40 years old (No premiums or appreciation prizes for this category)
- 6) Non-Split White Oak Native Material Hand Processed Without The Use of Kits. (Material such as: Honeysuckle, Grape Vine, Non-Oak but Wood, Bark, and Straw.)
- 6) Non-Split White Oak Native Material
Hand Processed Without The Use of Kits.
(Material such as: Honeysuckle, Grape Vine, Non-Oak but Wood, Bark, and Straw.)
- 7) Non-Native Bought Material (I.E. Reed, Rattan, or Purchased kits)
- 8) Split White Oak Visitor Class (Basket makers from outside South central Kentucky)
- 9) Children's Category (Split White Oak Basket makers 2 yrs. to 20 yrs. of age.)
- 10) Novelty (Split White Oak non-basket items (fans, hats, vases, pet beds, thimbles, wishing wells, etc.)
- 11) Children's Category Non-White Oak, Native Material, no kits
- 12) Children's purchased materials
- Split White Oak Basket Contest Rules:
- 1. All baskets of any kind or description are eligible.
- 2. The entrant (or some member of the immediate family) must have made the baskets within the past three years.
- 3. Baskets must be made of split white oak and cannot be made from kits.
- 4. The Family Medical Center has the right to purchase the winning baskets or the entrant can agree to make a basket similar to the winning basket for the Family Medical Center for display in its collection. The price of the basket would be in addition to the prize money. Please help us keep this tradition so we can display these winning baskets locally.
- 5. This contest is open to all residents of Hart and adjoining counties.
- Each person entering a basket will receive a $10.00 Appreciation Prize for entering; excluding antique baskets.